Each month we will ask our AWN facebook page fans to be our resident expert’s on the post where he/she lives. We thank you for showing an interest in answering some questions regarding Post With The Most (PWTM). Typically we have a fairly large group of people who want to help out and answer our questions to inform other spouses of what a particular post is like. Sometimes we will choose just one persons response, sometimes we will make it a collaborative effort to answer the questions by using many of your responses.
If you want to be part of our PWTM segment please let us know by contacting us at email@example.com. We hope you will take the time to answer these questions as complete as possible so we can share the most possible information with our AWN followers.
Don’t forget to visit our Army Installations page where you can provide feedback and comments on previous PWTM postings.
1. Your Name: Kim Fourtunia
2. Experience in Military(As a spouse or service member or military child): My husband has been in for 23 years and my dad retired from the Marines when I was 4 years old.
3. Your Home State: Louisiana
4. Other locations you’ve lived: Fort Bragg (Fayetteville), NC (At Fort Bragg from 1989 until July 2011)
1. Post Name: Joint Base Lewis McChord
2. Post Location: Tacoma, Washington
Major Units/What Post is “known for” (ie basic training, AIT, MP Headquarters etc) I Corps; 62nd Airlift Wing; Stryker Brigades
3. Name of Surrounding Cities: Tacoma, Lacey, Lakewood, Dupont, Kent, Pullayup, Seattle
4. Historical Facts/Landmarks on post: Only been here since July so not sure of this
5. Closest MAJOR City: Seattle
6. How long have you been there? Since July 2011
7. What is housing like – on post/off post? (tell us about rental conditions, buying/selling, privatized or DoD housing – interesting policies etc) I have only lived on post since we moved here in July 2011. Actually it is not too bad, except I think the workers who cut the grass, etc. could do a better job. There is a new housing area being built now, and some will be ready for April 2012 . I do not know about off post, but with I-5 I think it is better to live on post, because traffic is outrageous.
8. Rate the PX The PX is clean. It just needs to a better selection of clothes.
9. Rate the Commissary (and why) I think for the amount of people who are at Fort Lewis the commissary needs to be bigger.
10. Active Spouse Club? (tell us about them) I have not been involved in any clubs. I work full time and have two children. They do have a Fort Lewis Spouses Club.
Note: In the following please list annual events as well as things going on now…
1. Things to do ON POST They have a roller skating rink; bowling alley; movie theater, splash park for the young children. I love American Lake and Shoreline Park. There are man made beach areas with paddle boats, plus you can rent boats and jet skis at American Lake. There are a lot of picnic areas too. They also have a lot of walking trails.
2. Things to do in CITY AROUND POST They have the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium, Glass Museum in Tacoma, and a lot of shopping (Lakewood Towne Center and Tacoma Mall).
3. Things to do in MAJOR CITY OUTSIDE OF POST Go to Seattle to Pike Place Market, Space Needle, Mount Ranier, and Mount St. Helens.
4. Major SPORTING, THEATRE, or CONCERT activities? Seattle Seahawk games; Mariners baseball; concerts at the Tacoma Dome; and Key Arena. They have minor league hockey team (Seattle Thunderbirds) in Kent, WA at the Showare Center. They have a minor league baseball team (The Raniers) too to watch in Tacoma.
5. Best place to get your hair/nails done That I cannot answer because I still have to find a place myself.
Education/Out and About:
1. School System (how many districts, DOD schools, what are they like etc) My daughter goes to Lakes High School in Clover Park District. The high school has a brand new state of the art building. I was really impressed. My son goes to Beachwood Elementary on post.
2. Area Colleges? Have not looked into this so I cannot answer this.
3. Favorite Restaurants BJs Brewery; Adriatic Grill; Famous Daves Barbecue; Olive Garden; The Ram Restaurant
4. Favorite Shopping/malls (note: lack of shopping) There are a lot of malls. Tacoma Mall, South Center Mall, Bellevue Mall and there is a super mall about an hour away.
5. Job Market I would go to the personnel office on post and register for military spouse preference. I think they help a lot with finding jobs for military spouses.
6. Must DOs!! Must go to Mount Ranier and Pike Place Market.
1. Best aspect of the post (of the city surrounding?) The view of Mount Ranier and all the evergreens around post.
2. Worst aspect? The rain and cold weather.
3. Weather Well as for weather: July, August and September were beautiful, sunny and maybe got to the low 80s some days, but very comfortable mainly the highs were in the 70s. As far the rest of the months, it is mostly overcast/cloudy with a light rain, but there are some days the sun comes out. It really is not that bad.
5. What makes this THE Post With The Most I think having Mount Ranier and all the other mountains around here makes the scenery is beautiful. There is a lot to do outdoors like hiking, biking, camping, boating on the lake, water skiing and snow skiing. It is a very beautiful area.