One of the most challenging aspects of the military spouse life is preparing for an upcoming PCS or if you get the chance, potentially picking a new duty station. There is a lot of information out there, and it can be almost overwhelming.
We here at Army Wife Network want to take some of the guesswork out of the need-to-knows about duty stations around the globe. Hence, our POST WITH THE MOST SERIES. In this particular blog, we will be showcasing information related to Anniston Army Depot, AL.
Anniston Army Depot (ANAD) sits in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in northeast Alabama. ANAD is known as “The Tank Rebuild Center of the World,” as it is the only Army depot capable of performing maintenance on heavy and light-tracked combat vehicles.
Anniston Army Depot is home to the following units:
Anniston Munitions Center
Assembled Chemical Weapons Alternatives
Defense Contract Management Agency
Defense Logistics Agency Distribution Anniston
Defense Logistics Agency Disposition Services
Army Contracting Command
US Army Center of Military History Clearing House
Closest MAJOR City: Birmingham (about 1 hour away) and Atlanta, GA (about 90 minutes away)
Names of Area Colleges:
Weather: Long, hot, and muggy summers with short, cold, and wet winters.
Time Zone: Central Standard Time
SPECIFIC POST INFORMATION
Historical Facts/Landmarks: Post History
There is no on-post housing on Anniston Army Depot. You can find non-realtor housing assistance here.
Major realty/rental companies in the area:
School District(s): Anniston City Schools
On-Post Schools: There are no on-post schools
- Elementary: Cobb Pre-K Academy (PreK), Golden Springs Elementary (Grades K-5), Randolph Park Elementary (Grades K-5), and Tenth Street Elementary (Grades K-5)
- Middle: Anniston Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- High School: Anniston High School (Grades 9-12)
- Private/Charter: Faith Christian School (PreK-12) and Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School (PreK-12)
Library: There is no library on the installation, but Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County is available to those in the area.
Chaplain & Religious Services/Organizations: There is no chapel on Anniston Army Depot, but the Anniston community offers services for all denominations. Here is a list of religious services in the area from MilitaryAvenue.com.
- Hospitals: Stringfellow Memorial Hospital (Anniston) and Northeast Alabama Regional Medical Center (Jacksonville)
- Urgent Care: Southern Immediate Care (Anniston), Anniston CarePlus (Anniston), CARES Medical (Anniston), Anniston Medical Clinic (Anniston), and American Family Care (Oxford)
- Dentist: Flanagan Dental (Anniston), Dr. Donald T. Norby: Pediatric Dentistry (Anniston), Spivey Family Dentistry (Anniston), and Dr. Wallace Price Dentistry (Anniston)
- OBGYN: Anniston OBGYN (Anniston), North Alabama’s Women’s Center (Anniston), and Special Care for Women (Anniston)
Best place for beauty services:
• Nail Galaxy (Oxford)
• Pink Nail Bar (Oxford)
• Nail Perfection Inc. (Anniston)
• Spa at McClellan Park (Anniston)
• Annell’s Villa Salon (Anniston)
SOCIAL MEDIA CONNECTIONS:
Army Wife Network does not promote or endorse these groups; however, we know they can be helpful in learning about various duty stations, so they are provided for your convenience.
Installation Facebook page: Anniston Army Depot
Buy/Sell/Trade Pages: Anniston/Gadsden Buy/Sell/Trade