One of the most challenging aspects of the military spouse life is preparing for an upcoming PCS or if you get the chance, potentially picking a new duty station. There is a lot of information out there, and it can be almost overwhelming.
We here at Army Wife Network want to take the some of the guesswork out of the need-to-knows about duty stations around the globe. Hence, our POST WITH THE MOST SERIES. In this particular blog, we will be showcasing information related to Camp Zama, Japan.
(If you have additional tips, information, connections or personal testimonials about this military location, feel free to leave a comment below to help out your fellow military spouse. Thanks!)
Camp Zama is home to the following units:
- 9th Theater Army Area Command
- 78th Signal Battalion
- 3rd Engineer Group
- 88th MP Detachment
- 17th Area Support Group
- Public Health Command District–Japan
- Public Health Command District–Pacific
- US Army Aviation Battalion–Japan
- USARJ & I Corps, FWD–Special Troops Battalion
- USARJ Band
- United Nations Command (Rear)
- ADA Regiment
- 10th Regional Support Group
Closest MAJOR City: Tokyo (about 25 minutes away)
Names of Area Colleges: University of Maryland University College–Asia Division offered through the Army Education Center
Weather: The weather is typical of the East Coast of U.S. There are four seasons with August having highs of upper 80s and January and February having highs of mid-30s. Rains tend to be more prevalent during summer months. Camp Zama does experience a lot of fog throughout the year, specifically during the summer months.
Time Zone: Japan Standard Time (JST), which is 13 hours ahead of Eastern Time
SPECIFIC POST INFORMATION
To access the post website, click here.
On-post Housing is managed by U.S. Army Garrison Japan.
Like many overseas location, service members and their families who are moving to an OCONUS duty station will begin their housing search at the installation housing office. Specific paperwork is often required for seeking housing off-post options.
- Elementary: John O. Arnn Elementary School (Pre-K through grade 6)
- Middle and High School: Zama American Middle-High School (Grades 7-12)
- Child and Youth Services
- Army Community Service
- Camp Zama & Sagamihara Housing Area Library
- BG Crawford F. Sams U.S. Army Health Clinic
- Zama Community Spouses’ Association
- Chaplain & Religious Services/Organizations
Best place for beauty services:
- Zama Yatoyama Park
- Nissan Heritage Collection Museum
- Suzuka Shrine
- Shoukoku-ji Temple
- Sagami River Cherry Blossoms
SOCIAL MEDIA CONNECTIONS:
Army Wife Network does not promote or endorse these groups; however, we know they can be helpful in learning about various duty stations, so they are provided for your convenience.
Installation Facebook page: Camp Zama
Military Spouse Groups: Zama Community Spouses’ Organization
Buy/Sell/Trade Pages: Camp Zama “Open to All”