One of the most challenging aspects of the military spouse life is preparing for an upcoming PCS or if you get the chance, potentially picking a new duty station. There is a lot of information out there, and it can be almost overwhelming.
We here at Army Wife Network want to take some of the guesswork out of the need-to-knows about duty stations around the globe. Hence, our POST WITH THE MOST SERIES. In this particular blog, we will be showcasing information related to Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
Fort Jackson is an Army installation, from which TRADOC operates for Basic Combat Training, located within the city limits of Columbia, South Carolina. It was named for United States Army General and seventh president of the United States, Andrew Jackson, who was born on the border between North and South Carolina. The base trains 50 percent of all the Army’s Basic Combat Training Soldiers.
Fort Jackson is home to the following units:
- 165th Infantry Brigade
- 193rd Infantry Brigade
- Drill Sergeant Academy
- Training School and Support Directorate
- Soldier Support Institute
- 81st Regional Support Command
- Naval Reserve Center
- Camp McGrady (SC Guard)
- Columbia Recruiting Battalion
- Armed Services Chaplaincy Center
- National Center for Credibility Assessment
- Mission Installation Contracting Command
- Military Entrance Processing Station
- Directorate of Human Resources
- Logistics Readiness Center
- Leader Training Brigade
- Columbia (5.3 miles)
- Dentsville (6 miles)
- Cayce (13.2 miles)
- Lexington (26.8 miles)
Closest MAJOR City: Columbia
Names of Area Colleges:
- University of South Carolina—Fort Jackson on Fort Jackson
- Webster University on Fort Jackson
- University of South Carolina in Columbia
- Columbia College in Columbia
Weather: Columbia’s forecast is pretty predictable—mostly sunny! Summertime highs average in the mid- to low- 90’s. Nighttime brings light breezes and comfortable temperatures. Annual rainfall totals about 45 inches a year, which can cool down those hot days. Winter weather is very mild with a rare snow sighting and some winter months can even occasionally reach into the low-70’s.
Time Zone: Eastern Time Zone
SPECIFIC POST INFORMATION
To access the post website, click here.
Historical Facts/Landmarks: While Fort Jackson encompasses more than 52,000 acres and is the largest and most active initial entry training center in the United States, the post has had its ups and downs. Initially created as Camp Jackson in 1917 during the start of World War I, it was shut down not five years later. Camp Jackson was reactivated during World War II and was slotted to be deactivated again in 1950 at the end of the War, but because of the outbreak of the Korean War, the Post remained active and has been ever since. In 1994, the film Renaissance Man starring Danny DeVito and Mark Wahlberg filmed their basic training scenes from “Fort McClane” at Fort Jackson.
On-post Housing is managed by Fort Jackson Family Homes
Major realty/rental companies in the area: Community Homefinding and Referral Services
There are a number of school districts within Columbia, South Carolina and the surrounding areas. Please note that not all districts are listed, but the school liaison website states that the majority of off-post students will attend one of the many schools within the Richland County School District Two. These include three magnet centers, 20 elementary schools, seven middle schools, five high schools, a charter school, and an adult continuing technology center.
*Students in grades 7-12 and living on post will attend public schools off post in Richland School District Two.
- Elementary: Richland County School District One (grades PreK-5, some schools also offer Montessori options) and Richland County School District Two (grades PreK-5)
- Middle: Richland County School District One (grades 6-8) and Richland County School District Two (grades 6-8)
- High: Richland County School District One (grades 9-12) and Richland County School District Two (grades 9-12)
- Covenant Classical Christian School (grades K-12)
- Saint Peter’s Catholic School (grades K-6)
- Heathwood Hall Episcopal School (ages 2-grade 12)
- Child and Youth Services
- Army Community Service
- Thomas Lee Hall Library
- Moncrief Army Health Clinic
- Victory Spouses’ Club of Fort Jackson
- Chaplain & Religious Services/Organizations
- Hospital: Palmetto Health Richland in Columbia, Providence Health (outpatient clinic) in Columbia, and Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital in Columbia
- Urgent Care: MEDCare Urgent Care in Columbia, AFC Urgent Care Columbia in Columbia, and Palmetto Proactive Urgent Care in Columbia
- General Practitioners: Colonial Family Practitioners in Columbia and Northeast Family Practice in Columbia
- Dentist: Dental Clinic at Fort Jackson, David M Lovit, DMD in Columbia, and Berger Dental Group in Columbia
Best place for beauty services:
- Shear Xpectations Salon and Tanning (full service salon and tanning) in Columbia
- Capelli Salon (full service salon) in Columbia
- Urban Nirvana Day Spa (full service salon and day spa) in Columbia
- Julia’s German Stammtisch
- Saky Japanese Restaurant
- Midwood Smokehouse
- San Jose Mexican Restaurant
- Moctezumas Taqueria
- South Carolina State Museum
- Fort Jackson National Cemetery
- Riverbanks Zoo and Garden
- Saluda Shoals Park
- Sesquicentennial State Park
SOCIAL MEDIA CONNECTIONS:
Army Wife Network does not promote or endorse these groups; however, we know they can be helpful in learning about various duty stations, so they are provided for your convenience.
Installation Facebook page: Fort Jackson
Military Spouse Groups:
Additional Spouse Comments & Testimonials: