Registering Your Car in a New State After a PCS

When you’ve finally gotten into your new place after your PCS, there are 1,001 little things still to do (or so it feels like). Though not a requirement, one additional step may be registering your car in your new state, particularly if you’re choosing to be recognized as residents of that state. Here is a quick run-down of things to remember as a part of that process.

First, you need to get a new license at the DMV. Then, you need to make sure that your car insurance has the correct address on it; you will need this to register your car in a different state.

You will need to bring your title. If you have a loan or a lease, you will need to mail-in to get the title from the leinholder. Finally, bring a checkbook. You will need to write a check for your car registration. For two years, I had to pay about $250. This will depend on the state you live in.

Don’t forget that once your car is registered in a new state, you will have about 10 days to get your car inspected in the state. I called around and got mine inspected for $68 at PepBoys. They even put my new license plate on my car.

So in total, I paid about $318 to register my car in my new state.


About The Moving Mrs.

My name is Brittany and I am a wife who is always moving. In the past 6 years, I have lived in 4 different states. I enjoy traveling and experiencing visiting and living in new places. I have accumulated lots of great moving tips from my experiences. In each move, we are living only off of his income, so I have lots of experience stretching a dollar and getting my new place decorated and organized after each move. Please visit my blog: My Youtube Channel: My Twitter: My Instagram: My Pinterest:

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply