One of the most challenging aspects of the military spouse life is preparing for an upcoming PCS or if you get the chance, potentially picking a new duty station. There is a lot of information out there, and it can be almost overwhelming.
We here at Army Wife Network want to take the some of the guesswork out of the need-to-knows about duty stations around the globe. Hence, our POST WITH THE MOST SERIES. In this particular blog, we will be showcasing information related to Fort Buchanan, Puerto Rico.
(If you have additional tips, information, connections or personal testimonials about this military location, feel free to leave a comment below to help out your fellow military spouse. Thanks!)
Fort Buchanan is the only United States Army installation located on the island of Puerto Rico inside the capital city of San Juan. After passing hands between the Army and Navy a number of times, Fort Buchanan now consists of 746 acres and serves approximately 13,000 people including military personnel and their families as well as retirees and DoD civilians. It is used primarily for Reserve and National Guard units for forward operations in the Caribbean area.
Fort Buchanan is hometo the following units:
- 1st Mission Support Command
- Det 1, 2/231st Reg, 98th Div (IT)
- 1/350th Logistics Support
- 2/348th Reg, 158th Infantry Brigade
- 402nd Civil Affairs Battalion (TAC)
- 5th Brigade (MF), 80th TC, 94the Div (FS)
- A/B Co (Drill Sgt), 108th Training Command
- 1/389the Reg, 1st Brigade, 98th Division
- 832nd Transportation Battalion
- USMC 3rd Longshoreman Det, 4th LS
- Navy Operational Support Center (NOSC)
- San Juan
Closest MAJOR City: San Juan
Names of Area Colleges (all located in San Juan):
- University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras
- American University of Puerto Rico
- Phoenix University of Puerto Rico
- Interamerican University of Puerto Rico
Weather: June is the hottest month in San Juan with an average temperature of 82 degrees, and the coldest month is January with an average high of 77 degrees. The longest days are in October with nine hours of sunlight, and the rainiest month is November. The best month to swim in the sea is in August when the oceanic temperatures reaches highs in the low to mid-80s.
Time Zone: Atlantic Standard Time
SPECIFIC POST INFORMATION
To access the post website, click here.
Historical Facts/Landmarks: One year after the signing of the Treaty of Paris in Fort Buchanan in 1898, Spain ceded Puerto Rico to the United States, and the island became an unincorporated United States territory. Around the same time, the Puerto Rico Regiment of Infantry was created. In 1901, Lt. Col. James Anderson Buchanan took command of the regiment, the man after which the Fort was named. Most recently in 2017 when Puerto Rico was hit by Hurricane Maria, Fort Buchanan served as the command center during the recovery efforts. Active duty, reservist and National Guard units from the continental United States were mobilized from Fort Buchanan for the emergency, and thousands of service members were awarded the Humanitarian Service Medal for their disaster relief efforts.
On-post Housing is managed by Fort Buchanan Family Housing.
Major realty/rental companies in the area:
There are DODEA schools within the Fort Buchanan network. All remaining local school districts serve the surrounding San Juan area and will be offered in Spanish.
- Antilles Elementary School (Grades Prekindergarten-5)
- Antilles Middle School (Grades 7-8)
- Antilles High School (Grades 9-12)
- Child and Youth Services
- Army Community Service
- Fort Buchanan Library
- Rodriguez Army Health Clinic
- Chaplain & Religious Services/Organizations
- Hospital: Hospital San Pablo in Bayamon, Hospital Metropolitan in San Juan, and Hospital Del Maestro in San Juan
- General Practitioners: Contact Rodriguez Medical Center for any general practitioner needs
- Dentist: Contact Rodriguez Medical Center for any dental needs
- OB/GYN: Contact Rodriguez Medical Center for any OB/GYN needs
Best place for beauty services:
- Fort Buchanan Beauty Shop on Fort Buchanan
- Mil Rosas Salon (full service salon) in San Juan
- Saline Salon (full service salon) in San Juan
San Juan, Puerto Rico and surrounding area
- Bioluminescent Bay
- El Younque National Forest
- Old San Juan
- Bacardi Rum Distillery
- Sierra de Luquillo Mountains
SOCIAL MEDIA CONNECTIONS:
Army Wife Network does not promote or endorse these groups; however, we know they can be helpful in learning about various duty stations, so they are provided for your convenience.
Installation Facebook page: US Army Garrison Fort Buchanan